Friday, March 19, 2010

Penny Experiment Trip - 97% SAVED!

When I saw these $10/$20 Kmart coupons, the first thing that came to mind was "Holy Smokes!  That will make for a GREAT Penny Experiment trip!"  The coupon does stipulate that it's not to be used on BOGO items, so I took a few minutes to plan out my transaction.  Well, when I got to the store I had to get creative because my store was sold out of a few items on my list.

Here's what I got:

5 Boxes of Kashi Heart to Heart Cereal
1 Box Kashi Granola Bars
20 Jars Beech-Nut Baby Food
4 Pouches Starkist Tuna
2 Muir Glen Tomato Paste
2 Thai Kitchen Noodle Dinners
TOTAL SPENT:  $1.40
TOTAL SAVED:  $42.22
TOTAL VALUE OF FOOD:  $43.60
SAVINGS OF 97%!  

So why does my receipt reflect something different?  Well, my cashier missed my Buy One Get One FREE coupons for the Starkist Tuna - and he only took off $2.78 for my box of Kashi Granola bars (instead of $3.78).  So, after heading up to customer service for a few minutes I was able to get it straightened out and got back $3.78 - Total out of pocket after the corrections was $1.40!  

**Tip:  This is why I work out all of the scenarios in my head before I go.  This way I know ahead of time what my total should be (or at least pretty close!).  I knew that I should not be paying that much after coupons!  Publix has wonderful customer service and they were more than willing to adjust my purchase price when I figured out what the errors were!**

I can't wait to head over to Helping Hands on Monday to drop off my donations!  Have you been keeping up with whats going on over at The Penny Experiment?  There's been OVER $5,465 worth of food donated to food banks all over the county - all for one little penny found on the ground!  I'm so happy to be participating in this awesome project!  

2 comments:

  1. great job! I planned on using my kashi qs for the same thing! great minds think alike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see that you are participating in the Penny Experiment. I would love to have you join us and link up to my weekly meme: Shop to Give Sunday.

    http://simoneysavers.com/2010/03/21/shop-to-give-sunday-week-8/

    ReplyDelete