Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bi-Lo Bargain Meal of the Week - Jambalaya & Cornbread


Sausage & Chicken Jambalaya with Cornbread




I'm a big fan of "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."  I've been using a box mix for my Jambalaya for a while now, and trust me - it ain't broke, so that's why I use it!  I love Zatarain's Rice Mixes and the seasoning is great.  They are a little high in sodium, so I was pretty excited when they came out with a low sodium version.

No, this isn't a "homemade" recipe, but I'm not ashamed to tell y'all that I use a little help in the kitchen from time to time - especially when it's delicious and makes my life a little easier. Anyhow, we'll be having jambalaya this week - what about you?


What You'll Need:
1 Zatarain's Jambalaya w/ Cheese Mix 
Zatarain's Rice Mixes - $1.69
USE $1/3 from RP 9/19
MAKES IT $1.35 each


1/2 lb cooked Chicken Breast 
Southern Home Split Chicken Breasts - 99¢/lb
*The split chicken breasts from Bi-Lo are huge.  One or one and a half should be enough.  Use the rest for tacos, chicken salad, or soup!*




Smoked Sausage (1/2lb)
Eckrich Smoked Sausage - BOGO @ $4.49
USE $1 from SS 10/3
MAKES IT $1.24
(half would make it 62¢)


1 can diced tomatoes
Del Monte Tomatoes - $1
USE $1/5 from RP 9/19
MAKES IT 80¢


2 cups water




Brown the smoked sausage and chicken in a large dutch oven with just a touch of butter or bacon grease. Then add water (only two cups!), tomatoes, and the rice mix.  Bring it to a boil, then cover and reduce heat for 25 minutes.   

I serve this with cornbread and honey butter since it is just a little spicy- 
which makes my kids (and husband) very, very happy!

Martha White Pouch Muffin Mix - $1
USE 55¢/2 from RP 8/8
MAKES IT 45¢

TOTAL MEAL COST:  ONLY $4.21!

2 comments:

  1. Great! Thank you! Do you do this every week for Bi Lo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do my best to! Sometimes it's not always a "dinner" meal. It may be a breakfast recipe, or something of the sort - but I try to post something that you can feed your family for a meal, based on what's on sale. Hope you come back and visit often!

    ReplyDelete