Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bi-Lo Bargain Meal of the Week - French Toast Bake


Mmmm.  I loved Sunday mornings growing up when my Momma would make French Toast for breakfast.  It was a favorite then, and my kids are no different now - but standing in front of the stove for an hour in the morning is definitely not my idea of fun (NOT a morning person!).  

I got this idea a few years ago from one of my Granny's old church cookbooks.  It was basically a recipe for bread pudding but  I omitted the raisins and added less liquid.  It tastes just like French Toast without all the work!  

French Toast Bake

What You'll Need:  
6 cups cubed bread
Southern Home White Bread - 88¢


4 eggs
1 dozen Southern Home Grade A Large White Eggs - $1.25
USE 55¢/2 printable
MAKES IT 70¢ 


Bacon
Smithfield Sliced Bacon @ $5.99
USE 55¢ OFF February All You Magazine
MAKES IT $1.89


From The Pantry or Fridge:
1 1/2 - 2 cups Milk
1/4 cup Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg 
1 tsp Vanilla
"pinch" of Salt
Powdered Sugar
Maple Syrup


Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 9x11 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Layer the bread cubes in the bottom of the dish.  Combine all other ingredients and pour down over bread cubes.  Bake 45 minutes or until firm and lightly browned on top.  

Make this one the night before for a super easy breakfast.  I usually pull it out of the fridge for about 20 minutes before baking.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup and some bacon!  



TOTAL MEAL COST:  LESS THAN $3.50!  

No comments:

Post a Comment