Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bi-Lo Bargain Meal of the Week - Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken


SLOW COOKER PINEAPPLE CHICKEN

One of my favorite cousins made this for me the first time a few years ago and it was soo good!  I couldn't believe how easy it was, and when I lost the recipe I was nervous the first time I had to wing it - but it still turned out great! She made hers in the oven, but I got desperate one day during baseball season and tried it out in the slow cooker.  I'm pretty sure that day the chicken breasts weren't even thawed out all the way, but what can ya do?  No one is perfect!    It only takes a few minutes to dump everything into the slow cooker and in a few hours, dinner's done.  

What You'll Need: 
Chicken Breasts 
SH Split Chicken Breasts - 99¢/lb
*I have used both split chicken breasts and boneless/skinless for this recipe.  For split chicken breasts, I usually make two - sometimes three for the four of us (around 2.5 pounds) because the ones at Bi-Lo are HUGE.  When I use boneless/skinless, I use four.  


Pineapple 
Del Monte Pineapple - 64¢
USE $1/5 from RP 9/19
MAKES IT 44¢
*I have used both chunk and crushed pineapple for this recipe, but the chunk pineapple is our favorite.


Brown Rice
Mahatma Brown Rice - $1.99
USE $1 OFF from RP 8/29
MAKES IT 99¢
(2 cups is approximately 40¢)


From The Pantry or Fridge: 
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Brown Sugar 
Red Pepper Flakes (optional)


First, spray the entire inside of the slow cooker with Pam.  Trust me, between the brown sugar and the pineapple juice, it's gonna be a sticky mess if you don't!   Now, here's the easy part!  Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Dump the rest of the ingredients in.  Cook on low for 4-6 hours, serve over brown rice and you are good to go!  The red pepper flakes really make it spicy, so go with what your family likes - We like it HOT!  

EASY SIDE:  
Bird's Eye Steamfresh Veggies - $1.41


TOTAL MEAL COST: $4.73!

No comments:

Post a Comment