Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Bi-Lo Bargain Meal of the Week



One question I get about couponing is about making actual meals.  Sure I get cereal and frozen pizzas on sale for cheap - but can I actually take my savings from the grocery store to the dinner table?  Well the answer is ABSOLUTELY!  I am by no means a gourmet chef, but I'm definitely a "foodie"! I'm a total sucker for cookbooks and new recipes, and I'm grateful I have some very willing family members who will taste-test almost everything I try!

I'm excited to share one of my favorite sites with y'all, and bring a new feature to you every week!  I love 5DollarDinners.com - I confess!  Erin Chase, author of The $5 Dollar Dinner Mom Cookbook, has been my hero on many nights when I didn't plan ahead and needed inspiration at the last minute (I know I can't be the only Mom out there who's had a night like that, right?).  Her recipes are quick and easy, and definitely budget friendly!  Check out her site right here.

Working with Erin, I'll be bringing you a budget-friendly recipe that matches up with what is on sale at Bi-Lo.  I want all of my readers to know that you can make delicious food for your family that's quick, fresh, easy and  won't break the bank!  

With all of that being said, my menu this week is for a very budget friendly meal that just so happens to coincide with Memorial Day Weekend.  I know many of you will be firing up the grill which happens to be one of my very favorite cooking methods!  Our family really enjoys being outdoors, and clean-up is always a cinch!  My game plan for grilling will usually consist of most of the prep work being done early in the day, so that I can enjoy my family while 
my husband actually does the grilling!  

Happy Memorial Day - Enjoy!

Chili-Cheese Burgers
Coleslaw 
Fresh Grilled Corn on the Cob

Ingredients:
1lb Ground Beef ($1.99/lb for 5lb package.  Use 1 pound for recipe, freeze the rest!)
McCormick's Grill Mates Hamburger Seasoning - 64¢
USE 50¢ OFF from RP 4/18 to get it FREE
1 bag Fresh Express Cole Slaw - $1.48
Hamburger Buns - $1.48
4 Ears Fresh Corn - $1
1 can Patterson's Hot Dog Chili - 99¢
USE 40¢ OFF from SS 5/9 to get it for 19¢
1 pkg Southern Home American Cheese Slices - You'll only need 4 pieces, and a 16 count package is $1.16 at my store.  This is always something we stock up on when it's on sale though - so you may not even need to buy any!  Getting technical, it works out to be 29¢ for 4 pieces!
**All sale prices reflect the ad running from 5/25 - 6/1.  You can see the entire ad here.**

TOTAL COST:  $4.52

From Your Pantry or Fridge:
Milk
White Vinegar
Mayo
Sugar
Salt
Pepper
1 egg
Butter
Lemon Juice

Chili-Cheese Burgers
Combine 1 lb of ground beef with a generous amount of the Hamburger grill seasoning and 1 egg.  Form into 4 burgers.  Cook your burgers on the grill until done, melting 1 slice of cheese on top during the last minute of cooking. Remember, only flip the burgers once to keep them juicy!
Top with warm hot dog chili.  These are super messy, but delicious!

Fresh Grilled Corn on the Cob
Soak the corn (husks on) in water for 30 minutes before grilling to prevent them from burning.  Dry them off then gently peel the husks back, but do not remove completely.  Smear butter on each ear of corn, and sprinkle with salt and pepper (add a little chili powder if you like spice!).  Pull the husks back up and wrap in aluminum foil.  Place them on a hot grill and turn occasionally - they'll be done in around 30 minutes so you'll want to start them just before you but the burgers on!  Make them ahead of time, so you won't be stuck fussing in the kitchen at the last minute!


Cole Slaw
This is my version of cole slaw.  Bless my Granny's heart, she made slaw with cabbage, Miracle Whip, salt and pepper.  Believe it or not, I do like it that way - but probably only because I grew up eating it!  I have since seen the light, and after fooling around with this dressing recipe, I've decided it tastes much better.  Use more or less dressing based on how your family likes it.  

1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients and blend with bagged cole slaw mix.  This is much better when it's made the day before (or several hours) and has time to marinate in the fridge until serving time!  I usually make the dressing and then pour it all into a gallon zip-lock bag so it can sit overnight.  Since this is such a favorite, I do usually end up making a double batch.  The leftovers are super good!  It's one of those dishes that is even better the longer it sits.  




No comments:

Post a Comment