Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Trip to the Food Bank

"Mom, I feel really good about this."

Those are the words of my ten year old as we were piling all of our groceries into the back of the car to take to our local food bank! Even before I began participating in The Penny Experiment, I had been tossing FREE food from my shopping trips into boxes with the plan of making one big trip to donate -boy did it add up!

Look at how FULL the back of my car was!



Had we purchased all of these groceries in one trip, I imagine it would have been an entire cartfull! And I am 100% positive that without coupons, we would never be able to donate this much for our community. People from all walks of life may, at one time or another, need the help of their local food bank to make ends meet. The elderly are on a fixed income - one extra trip to the doctor's office may mean that there isn't enough money for groceries. Families with children may be struggling due to the lack of jobs available, and they shouldn't have to choose between feeding their kids and paying the electric bill! These are the things I talked about with my son and my nephew today on the way to the food bank, and explained how it works.


I was able to meet Janet Rein (Helping Hands of Goose Creek, Board of Directors) when we were donating all of our food. I told her about The Penny Project, and that we couldn't wait to get back and donate even more food!

I knew we had a good sized donation, so I was feeling pretty good! Then on the way out, my son looked at me with a HUGE grin on his face and says, "Mom, can you believe that was 49 POUNDS OF FOOD? That was awesome!"
And I hadn't even noticed the scale...

How can you help?
Go here and donate today to Helping Hands of Goose Creek.
OR
You can check out ways to help with The Penny Experiment here.

Spread the word folks - You CAN make a difference!


No comments:

Post a Comment